Sunday, March 18, 2012

Injuries and 2012 Goals

I recently read this little blog post by Dave Macleod. He talks about how much you may or may not need to break from climbing due to tendon injuries. He has some interesting ideas that contradict the conventional wisdom on the subject. I recently injured my tendon pulley on my middle finger of my left hand... the article gave me a little bit of hope.

On a quite different subject, I would like to mention some of my goals and projects for 2012. I previous years I have made a list of 10 routes that I would like to do that year. I usually end up doing very few of them. I get to the crag and see other stuff I want to try or I don't even go the crag cause I'm wanting to climb a new project I found or I just don't have enough time! So, this year I'm gonna do things a little differently. I still have a few projects (or routes that I would like to do that I hope don't become projects) in mind though.



Another one of my goals is to shoot more video. I really wish I had more than one camera. That would make it easier to shoot some cool videos. That being said, I think I can still get some pretty good video put together. I would like to get most of the routes I climb on video. That way other local climbers/friends can look at them and maybe even watch some video of a route they want to do (if they so desire).

Anyway, here are some of my plans and goals for the year:

1) Climb Mon Cal (V10/11) at the Big Rock, and make a sweet video of it (long term project). As of now there are 2 moves I haven't been able to do yet.

2) Onsight these routes with video:  B60 0F0 (aka thirty something) (5.12a) at Grassi Lakes, Cool Sensations (5.12a) at Grassi Lakes, Dance Me Outside (5.12a) at Grassi Lakes, Oh That Thing (5.12a) at Grassi Lakes, Double Clutch (5.12a) at Barrier Mountain, Colloidal Impact (5.12b) at Lake Louise, and any 5.11c and lower that I try.

3) Redpoint with video: Solar Power (5.12b) at Bataan, Fuel (5.12c) at Grassi Lakes, The Convincer (5.12b) at Heart Creek, anything cool at Echo Canyon, and anything else anywhere that catches my eye. I would also like to redpoint my first 5.13 this year. That would be sweet.

4) I would also like to climb a few cool multi-pitch/trad routes as well (with video).


So I may or may not attempt/accomplish any of these goals. But I definitely wouldn't accomplish any of them without setting them. So, should be a fun year. We had a really warm winter so I'm expecting a short seeping season... then it's show time.

No comments:

Post a Comment